Beginner's Class on Zoom (from anywhere!)
Weds at 4pm - taught by Liz McNicholl
9 week semester begins Sept 23rd
(8 weeks group, 1st week Private Pre-"group" class will be scheduled for each student)
Our Ukulele lessons are fun and such an easy instrument to learn with color coding stickers. This Fall you can join us from anywhere; your home, backyard, grandmas as we'll be doing class on Zoom each Weds at 4pm.
In just 9 weeks, your child will be able to sing a whole bunch of songs by the campfire.
The Uke is perfect for children who love to sing and want to accompany themselves on an instrument. Within our first lesson we will have your child playing chords and singing along to songs. Each week we build on adding new chords (with color coding stickers) and adding to their repertoire of fun, well-known folk songs. The 9 week semester is $250 (and parents can add themselves to the learning fun for only $10 per class).
There will be a total of 9 weeks: Week 1, will be a "Private class /Pre requisite class to go over some basics with Liz on Zoom. Some uke basics would normally be done in class in a group setting, but because we are using Zoom, it's best to do an intro class privately. Once you are signed up, Liz will be in touch with you to schedule the Private class on Video chat/Zoom. The following 8 weeks will be with the group on Zoom. *min number of students needed to run the class).
To find out more info, email Info@MusicalFolk.com
Class materials: you will need to purchase a Ukulele, a book and Color coding stickers (once you are signed up for the class, Liz will be in touch about the book and the stickers).
Some fun facts about the ukulele:
* The ukulele is a wonderful, easy 4-stringed instrument that's just the perfect size for your child to play. It's great for the grown ups too! It is a cool and popular instrument that is taking the world by storm lately as it's so easy to play and so easy to sing along to.
* It provides a wonderful opportunity for children who love to sing as well as accompany themselves in song with this versatile small instrument. We sing some easy, well loved songs from our very first class.
* The ukulele is the perfect instrument to carry anywhere with you (even heading out on vacation or the park) and they can jam along with parents or friends on guitar or any instrument. It's a nice little acoustic instrument that doesn't need to be plugged in.
* Ukuleles are a very affordable instrument to purchase (usually ranging between $45 - $100) and our group lessons make it enjoyable to learn. Please email liz@MusicalFolk.com to find out more about purchasing an instrument
* Classes start at age 6. A good judge of readiness is if your child is able to read, can sit for 20-30 mins in class and practice at home. Some parents ask if their 5 year old is ready for the ukulele and for some they can still be too young for some they are ready. However if your child is interested in taking the Ukulele please email us at info@MusicalFolk.com. You can also click here to read an article on instrument readiness.
Research by John Hopkins University has shown that playing an instrument requires more of the brain than any other activity. Overtime this leads musicians to have a stronger, more diverse neural structure than non-musicians. Music learning develops so many skills, including musical ability, confidence, problem-solving, social and congnitive abilities and develops a love of music that lasts a life time. Music fills the soul and brings joy to those who play and those who listen.
Lessons are affordable at $27 per 25 min group lesson. However, the cost may vary depending on the number of students enrolled. Also, we are offering a special introductory price at a reduced rate of $20 per class for the first semester for accompanying siblings. Siblings must be 6 and older.
Parents may accompany their child in ukulele lessons for the first semester. The cost is an additional $10 per class. Subsequent semesters for the parents will be free.
Please email info@MusicalFolk.com if you are interested in signing up for this class and for information regarding purchasing a ukulele.
Liz McNicholl currently teaches adult group guitar lessons at the intermediate level. Students should be able to play a few basic chords to take these classes. Group classes are held on Thursdays at 1:00 pm.
There is no hard and fast rule here. While some children can start as early as 3 or 4, many teachers would not encourage it until a child is closer to 5-6 and sometimes older depending on each child. The bottom line is that all children are different and you are the best judge of your own child's degree of readiness.
There are a few important factors for you to consider. Is your child asking to play something? Is he/she able to sit and focus for about a half an hour? Do you think they would be able to practice on a regular basis?
The answer to all of these questions may help you in deciding at what age your child is ready to start. The important thing is to make it fun for them at a young age and not to push too much. If you would like to talk through any of this, talk to your Musical Folk Teacher. Regardless of when you decide to begin, the fact that you are bringing your child to an early childhood educational music program on a consistent basis will really help to prepare your child for music lessons giving them a solid musical foundation. We have heard many piano teachers say that they wish all parents would take their children to an early childhood music program such as ours to really build the important foundation of music before starting an instrument.
Congratulations to you, as you've already given your child this skill through our classes. May you continue to bring the joy of music into your family life. Being able to play an instrument brings amazing joy to the player and those around them, as well as all the other benefits that they will gain from this wonderful experience.
For more information, please read this wonderful article by Ken Guilmarten (Founder of Music Together), "The Next Step: Is Your Child Ready for Music Lessons?"